Followers

Thursday, July 11, 2013

XM204


This is the XM204 105mm towed howitzer.  I never heard of it and never saw anything like it before.


It was used by the US Army.


It is a very weird looking gun.


It also looks very compact.


Being able to pivot on the center base plate seems a great idea.


Folding back over itself also shortens the gun, making towing easier.

 
The barrel and tires look like those from the US Army 105 howitzer M1, and I think I may get a few of my surplus Roco ones and do a little work on them.

2 comments:

ccm2361 said...

In Army nomenclature "XM" means:
XM - Item is in the development or pre-production phase.

So this gun is likely a prototype of a design that was not accepted for full production. I say not accepted since its nothing we have ever seen before.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek said...

Yes, that was my thought too.
Bunkermeister